In my first week in this role, I created this 30/60/90 document with the goal to create an easy-to-follow plan that outlined critical actions required for a strong start. It also doubled as a strategic tool for aligning goals and priorities.
Prior to my start date, I dedicated some time to think about essential tasks that I needed to tackle early on. So upon joining, in my first week I created a Google Sheet that mirrors the document you're currently viewing.
My main goal was to create an easy-to-follow plan that succinctly outlined critical actions required for a strong start. It was also intended to double as a strategic tool for aligning goals and priorities, offering a simple and clear guide to navigate the work ahead.
During the initial phase, I immersed deeply in understanding and really getting to know our customers and our company. I wanted to understand who we're here for. I talked to as many team members as possible to piece together a clear picture of our ideal customer profile. This helped me create detailed personas that reflect the characteristics and needs of our ICP with considerable accuracy.
Subsequently, I dedicated substantial effort to refining our value proposition and positioning statement. Through strategic discussions, and conducting internal surveys, these activities laid the foundation for our messaging and guided the creation of content themes that would connect well with our audience. I spent a lot of time making sure I knew exactly who our customers were and how best to talk to them, ensuring our messaging was spot-on and reinforcing our market position effectively.
With the core aspects of our marketing strategy taking shape, I concurrently initiated deployment of more technical and implementation focused components. From the outset, my aim was to identify and capitalize on opportunities for automation, establishing workflows and systems designed to minimize operational overhead.
Leveraging my prior experience in setting up marketing stacks and funnels from scratch, this phase was both fun and fulfilling. It felt like painting on a canvas, choosing and blending tools and technologies as needed. I could envision the impending benefits, adding a layer of satisfaction to my efforts. This 60-day time period covered everything from designing landing pages to automation workflows, lead management, building dashboards, CRM setup, and detailing lifecycle stages and more. Diving deep into intricacies of each component, ensuring a cohesive and efficient marketing system that worked smoothly.
In the final stretch, we hit the launch phase — where everything we'd been building came alive. This phase marked the transition from planning to full-scale production. Our goal was to bring together all the pieces we'd set up in the first 60 days and see them through to completion by day 90.
Getting our landing pages live, sending out the first wave of emails, starting to collect data from our tests. We also rolled out new content and kicked off our social media efforts, all while keeping a close eye on our tech systems to quickly address any issues. This wasn't just about finishing tasks; it was about setting our strategy in motion and watching it take shape, ensuring everything worked as intended — in alignment with our strategic goals.
In the period immediately following the initial 90 days, we took some time to review, and do a retrospective. Reflectively identifying successes and areas for improvement by examining the initial reports, drawing insights and delineating actionable next steps.
Regarding challenges: Internal communication surfaced as subtle barrier to cross. It was crucial to educate across teams, Often, this meant having to repeat and reinforce our message to effectively communicate objectives and the rationale behind actions. Ensuring each stakeholder was aligned and informed.